Zachary Austin Kemp
November 11, 2009
5:52pm
6lbs. 14oz.
18.5in. long
My water broke, 9 days early, at 4:45am. Now, when I say broke, I really mean that the Hoover Dam burst. I had no idea that my little body could hold that much water! And it seemed to never end!
This was definitely a surprise since my last appointment showed "nothing." No effacement or dilation. And I was 2 days late with Tyson so I just expected to go late with #2.....WRONG!
I labored 3 1/2 hours at home and then started to bleed. That made me a little nervous, so we decided to head to the hospital. I was dialted to a 2 when we got there. We walked the halls together for the next 3 hours and dialted to a 5cm. For the next 6 hours after that, my contractions became much more intense but also much more infrequent. This was a completely different labor from Tyson!
The contractions were bearable but I was getting so sleepy! It was the strangest feeling! I could barely keep my eyes open and kept dozing off while in the tub, on the ball, on all fours, standing up, etc. All I could think about was taking a nap! So I talked to the nurse about getting my first epidural since 12 hours had passed and I was assumed to still be at 5cm.
I made the decision to go ahead with the epidural so I could take a nap. Turns out the nurse was wrong. Even though my body had slowed the frequency of contractions, my body was still working to get that baby out and I was actually dilated to an 8cm when they administered the epidural!
This was a shock and a little frustrating, but I must admit, the last 45min of labor were so much fun! The epidural did not hurt at all, and I enjoyed some good ol' country music for the actual birth. The radio was playing "Be my baby tonight" by John Michael Montgomery and I thought it was a perfect song! Dave and I were singing, dancing, laughing, getting him all gowned up for the delivery, wondering if it was a boy or girl, seeing the head crown with lots of dark hair...it was pure joy! All of it! So I don't regret anything that when on that day. I didn't have any kind of hospital experience with Tyson's birth, so this was really a lot of fun and what I had planned on with Tyson. I am really glad that I got to experience this type of labor and birth with Zack.
I am also so blessed to have an amazing husband hold my hand to walk the halls, and then just sit around and watch his wife deal with the pain of labor in silence....for 12 hours! Yes, I was silent basically the entire time. I hardly spoke a word to David! Poor guy! But that's how I deal with pain. I lock my mind inside and block everything out. He's the best husband and wouldn't leave my side. Even though he didn't hear it from me for a while, I am so glad he was there with me to experience the birth of our second little boy!
Here is a picture of me after getting the epidural. That's right, I'm putting on a little makeup for after-baby pictures!
Proud Papa and deliverer. He was honestly amazing at delivering our little boy!

Minutes after birth. Welcome to our family Zachary Austin!


Just a picture to show his hair

After his first sponge bath

He loved being under the heat lamp

His first outfit "I love hugs" from Grandma Mauldin

Minutes after birth. Welcome to our family Zachary Austin!
Just a picture to show his hair
After his first sponge bath
He loved being under the heat lamp
His first outfit "I love hugs" from Grandma Mauldin
David says, "Real men wear yellow."

Happy Mama

Tyson was so excited to hold his little brother! He couldn't wait to get his hands and lips all over him!

Kissing Zack

Another reason I love my husband. He surprised me with beautiful roses, a yummy holiday candle and my favorite treat, Rolos!

Baby Zack hanging out on the couch

Tyson was so excited to show Zack every toy he owns. He kept trying to give him trucks, a ball, his popper...Tyson even showed Zack how the popper worked by running circles in the living room and making sure that we were holding him up to see his big brother! He was so cute about showing his little bro. the ropes!
Happy Mama
Tyson was so excited to hold his little brother! He couldn't wait to get his hands and lips all over him!
Kissing Zack
Another reason I love my husband. He surprised me with beautiful roses, a yummy holiday candle and my favorite treat, Rolos!
Baby Zack hanging out on the couch
Tyson was so excited to show Zack every toy he owns. He kept trying to give him trucks, a ball, his popper...Tyson even showed Zack how the popper worked by running circles in the living room and making sure that we were holding him up to see his big brother! He was so cute about showing his little bro. the ropes!
20 comments:
CONGRATS!!! Zachary is such a beautiful baby, I hope to meet him soon. And what a great big brother Tyson is, so gentle. You guys have such a cute family. Love you lots!!! xoxo
Congrats! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if your little one had come yet! He is adorable! When I was having Benjamin we had to schedule an induction, I got up, showered, dried and straightened my hair, and put on my make up. ;) I wasn't about to be caught without it. Enjoy every minute!
Congrats! Your baby is beautiful. Having another boy will be fun for Tyson. :)
Your boys are sooooo cute! I loved watching the video! Tyson reminds me so much of David. I can't wait to get together and watch them play and interact. That will be a ton of fun! Love you and miss you tons!
Jen
So precious. Little Zachary is so darn cute and I love that Tyson is sharing and showing him how everything works. What a good older brother just like his daddy was to me. I love all the pictures, but I really love the one of David and Zach in yellow. I love you guys and am glad Kelli did well, what a women. Miss you guys and I am excited to meet my new nephew.
Okay, so I have to comment one more time, I hadn't watched the video before I made a comment. Tyson is so stinkin cute with his little brother, oh my goodness. He is so soft and loving. And Tyson has grown up so much since I saw his last, he is adorable. And so is Zach. Two of the cutest little boys. Love you!
I am so excited for you! Congrats on little Zachary. I love the name and he is so handsome! Glad Tyson is loving on him lots.
Congrats guys! I've been waiting for this post! Great job, Kelli - especially since I'm sure the longer labor was unexpected (what a mental shift to make during labor!) LOL makeup? So funny! And great job, David, it must be so hard to just sit there and be there and not know what you can do to help (I was pretty silent, too). Way to go team!
Tyson is sweet with little Zack. I think Zack looks different than Tyson - maybe he'll look more like Mama?
Congrats again, can't wait to meet him!
PS- just for the record: I guessed BOY!
I was SO excited to see pictures! I love that one of Kelli and Zachary so precious. What a sweet video. I wish I was there to see him. Hopefully I will be soon.
Yay!!! I am so excited for you and so glad you put pictures up! And, of course, your hair is curled in the video! You are obviously super mom already. Good job making super cute boys, they are adorable together! Love you and miss you!!!
Yea, I'm so happy for you!
He is such a doll, so glad I got to come over and snuggle him for a minute. Love the video of Tyson, he is so very gentle and sweet with him. Let me know if you guys need ANYTHING!
Yaaaayyy!!! Your boys are so handsome!!! I love you guys!
Congratulations, Kelli! He's adorable! And mad props to you for handling the pain so well. I myself have the lowest pain tolerance of just about everyone!
Good luck with two little boys! :) Your whole life will be cars and dinosaurs.
So sweet! I love all the pictures. What a cute little family! Glad everything went well for you. Let us know if you need anything!
Congratulations!!! Another Kemp boy.... we'll just keep 'em coming! ;-) 12 hours woman!??! No wonder you wanted a nap. I'm so happy that it went so well for you. Again, congratulations!
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! He's gorgeous! Lily loved watching the video and is still talking about "my baby". Hope you feel great! And you look fantastic moments after!
Yea! That is so exciting. Such a sweet boy and a cute family. Congratulations Kelli!!
i know I already commented but this time I just want to say Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment